It is an initiative taken by the Hon’ble Chief Minister, Dr. Mamata Banerjee , Government of West Bengal to improve the life and status of the girls by helping economically backward families with cash so that families do not arrange the marriage of their girl child before eighteen years of age because of economic problem. The purpose of this initiative is to uplift those girls who are from poor families and thus can’t pursue higher studies due to tough economic conditions. It has been given international recognition by the United Kingdoms’ Department of International Development and the UNICEF.
The scheme has two components:
- K1, an annual scholarship of Rs.750/- to be paid annually to the girls in the 13-18 year age group for every year that they remain in education, provided they are unmarried at the time.
- K2, a one-time grant of Rs. 25,000/-,to be paid when girls turn 18,provided that they are engaged in an academic or occupational pursuit and are unmarried at the time.
Both the benefits under the scheme are granted to the girls who belongs to families with annual family income <Rs 1,20,000.00 (exception: both parents dead,physically challenged).
Deshbandhu College for Girls issues applications to bonafide students who are interested and eligible. In the year 2015-16,49 girl students belonging to the said category have received this financial benefit from the college.
Project Sukanya is the dream project of the Hon’ble Chief Minister of West Bengal, Dr. Mamata Banerjee in order to provide self defence training to girl students of schools and colleges. It was initiated in 2014 by the Kolkata Police in collaboration with the Women Development and Social Welfare Department.The main objective of this programme is to use their talent not only for their own protection but for the welfare of others as well. In Deshbandhu College for Girls Sukanya kick Boxing was introduced in 2016 under the enormous inspiration of The Principal, Dr. Anita Chattopadhay Gupta with the help of Sri Montu Das, founder and General Secretary of the Kick Boxing Association of West Bengal.
Our students have participated and won several medals in the following competitions-
- 18th West Bengal State Kick Boxing Championship.
- Inter College Championship in Kick Boxing.
- Chess Kick Boxing Federation Cup , Inter College Competition.
- The first Chess Kick Boxing Amateur World Championships.
- Para Kick Boxing Championship for Girls.
- East Zone Kick Boxing Championship.